This week I have chosen to rebroadcast my interview with industry high achiever, Dr David Penn. As we venture into 2021 dentists will be presented with some amazing opportunities. David’s ability to recognise the possibility and build success on it makes his podcast even more relevant today as when I first interviewed him. It will provide us the drive to broaden our view of what is achievable.
In this episode we discuss:
- [02:03] Diving into practice ownership straight out of graduation.
- [06:34] The things that set him up in his first foray into private practice.
- [12:02] His dream of having a large enterprise and his ability to spot gaps in the market.
- [16:34] Dentistry as a people business.
- [18:48] The early days of Southern Cross Dental.
- [23:43] Penetrating the Australian market.
- [29:35] The time frame from starting to becoming a full-fledged business.
- [36:04] Working through 16 years to build his practice.
- [40:03] Managing and getting through rapid growth.
- [47:15] His experience on DMF numbers from when he started versus today.
- [52:50] Advice for younger dentists to ensure longevity in their career.
- [57:20] His thoughts on the future of dentistry especially on price-sensitivity.
- [01:04:28] His wife’s advice for dentists.
- [01:07:11] Things he loves about Eastern Suburbs Football Club.
- [01:11:26] David’s advice for young dentists.
Find out more
- Southern Cross Dental Website
- Southern Cross Dental Facebook
- Southern Cross Dental Instagram
- Southern Cross Dental LinkedIn