In today’s episode of the Savvy Dentist Podcast, Ronan Lutman joins us to talk about emotional intelligence. This is a topic that’s so relevant at this particular time given that we’ve had so much going on in the year 2020. We are going to be talking about the facets of emotional intelligence, what makes it up, how to improve it, and how to apply it directly in the dental setting. If you take action on the things we talk about here, it’s going to set you on a path to greater fulfilment, success, happiness and enjoyment in life.
In this episode we discuss:
- [03:48] Ronan’s interesting observations about working with dentists and practise owners over the years.
- [07:53] The correlation of EQ and success in a chosen endeavour.
- [09:41] The components that makeup EQ
- [13:08] Categories of Emotional Intelligence.
- [15:12] Things that change the circumstances of self-expression.
- [19:01] Leadership is engaging and facilitating instead of knowing and telling.
- [22:15] Allowing your team to contribute to the business.
- [24:19] Measuring EQ by getting qualitative feelings and turning it into quantitative data.
- [30:12] Engaging with your clients with empathy.
- [34:50] Being aware of the reflex response.
- [39:42] Taking strengths and making boundaries to make it a negative in your life.
- [43:58] The place of optimism in EQ and how it can be improved.
- [47:17] The definition of happiness and it’s difference from joy.
- [55:48] The meaning of purpose and why it’s different from Start with Why.
- [59:10] Reconciling 2 Simon Sinek and Victor Frankl’s work .