I am very excited to share Episode 177 of the Savvy Dentist Podcast with you because our guest today has an incredible pedigree when it comes to dentistry. Dr. Tony Hobby, Founder and Principal Dentist of Island Dental and I talk about what it takes to create, own, maintain and grow a dental practice. From a very early age, Tony has been known as someone who sees things differently and challenges the status quo and he has applied this in running his dental practice as well.
With 38 years of experience, you’ll get an immense amount of wisdom from Tony as he shares with us the lessons he has learned, the things he has observed, the secrets he has accumulated and the pearls of wisdom he’s picked up along the way. We will also learn about how his background in AFL Football and the culture they had in the team guided him in building his dental practice.
In this episode we discuss:
- 02:48: Tony shares the things he most enjoys about football.
- 04:17: How football has helped shaped his values and life.
- 05:46: Lessons from his football career that he brought into his dental career and Island Dental.
- 08:21: His transition from playing football to starting his career in dentistry.
- 10:02: Analyzing the moves of the opposition in their games and how he relates it to his dental practice team.
- 11:40: Specific things Tony did, as the founder, to create, maintain and protect the culture in his practice.
- 14:07: Trends in the last 20 or 30 years that have shaped the profession.
- 17:54: How Tony stayed ahead in the industry.
- 19:33: Observing other industries and incorporating their practices in your dental practice.
- 20:43: The skill of communication and putting intent behind words.
- 23:38: The difference between selling something and helping people buy.
- 24:36: Tony shares his greatest learnings on being a dentist and staying in the game.
- 29:03: Importance of offering outstanding service to your patients.
- 32:39: The future of the life and times of Tony Hobby and the dental profession.